Like cars, boilers need annual servicing to ensure they are running efficiently and safely. A well maintained new boilers preston will not only save you money on your heating bills but is less likely to break down.
Servicing and repairs must only be carried out by experienced and suitably qualified heating installers. For gas and LPG, use Gas Safe registered engineers and for oil, an OFTEC registered technician.
Ideally, arrange the service for the end of summer so your boiler’s in tip-top condition for intensive use over the winter months. Don’t leave it until you need the heating on! Statistics show that there are twice as many boiler breakdowns mid October when everyone starts switching the heating on than during a normal week in winter.
- Don’t cover your boiler or block up air vents, ventilation grilles, air bricks or outside flues.
- Never open the cover. Boilers shouldn’t be tampered with. If you suspect a problem, call an engineer.
- To clean, wipe it with a dampened cloth, then dry.
- To remove any scratching on the painted metal, rub petroleum jelly, in a circular motion over the mark. Wipe off, then buff to a shine.
- During the summer, run your heating once a month for 15 minutes to keep it running efficiently. This will stop the pump becoming clogged with grit and keep moving parts in order.
- If you have a gas boiler, fit a carbon monoxide detector to warn you if there’s a leak (you can’t see or smell carbon monoxide). Carbon monoxide poisoning from poorly maintained gas appliances kills around 20 people a year with another 200 serious incidents.
- If you smell gas or think you have a gas leak, turn off your gas supply, open windows and doors, don’t switch any electrical appliances on or off, go outside and call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately free on 0800 111 999. Keep their number handy.